The six phases below include a number of individual steps designed to ensure your success throughout this project. If after reading the information, should have any questions, please contact us.
PHASE ONE: SELECT
Select an individual to oversee the process of re-stating the Articles of Incorporation. The Elders/Ministry and Counsel of the local church/meeting should select an individual who is familiar with the approval process of the Friend church/meeting and has the ability to gather the necessary documents to complete the process.
Phase One Checklist:
- Elders / Ministry and Counsel may select an individual to oversee the process.
- Project manager should download the following files from this page
- Process for Restated Articles
- Restated Articles of Incorporation
- Arizona’s Certificate of Disclosure
- Resolution for Amended Articles
- Attorney’s Information and Check List
- Review all documents.
PHASE TWO: GATHER
Gather the current/existing Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws* for your local church/meeting. Locate the most recent filing of the Arizona Nonprofit Certificate of Disclosure. These documents will be needed to complete the package for the attorney. * If separate Bylaws were not written/approved, please send a copy of the current Faith and Practice of EFCSW to the attorney as your current Bylaws. Copies can be obtained through the regional office in Whittier, California.
Phase Two Check List:
- Locate and make a copy of the original Articles of Incorporation.
- Locate and make a copy of the current Bylaws of the church/meeting.
- Locate and make a copy of the most recent filing of the Arizona Nonprofit Certificate of Disclosure.
PHASE THREE: COMPLETE
Complete the Articles of Incorporation , a new Arizona’s Certificate of Disclosure, the Resolution for Amended Articles, and the information requested by the attorney’s office. This can be done using a standard computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free program that is standard on most computers. Complete any check request forms needed for approval of funds. Contact the Clerk of the Elders/Ministry and Counsel and request to be placed on the agenda for the next Board Meeting.
Phase Three Check List:
- Complete the Articles of Incorporation by filling in the requested information. You can use Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete the Articles. Most computers already have this program installed. If not, visit www.adobe.com
- Complete the Arizona’s Certificate of Disclosure. Use the most recent copy as a guide.
- Complete the Resolution for Amended Articles.
- Complete and collect all information requested by the attorney.
- Complete all check request forms needed to complete the process. Note: You will seek approval for these funds at the next Elders/Ministry and Counsel meeting.
PHASE FOUR: APPROVE
Approve the Resolution to Restate the Articles of Incorporation and approve the funds to complete the project at the next Elders / Ministry and Counsel meeting. After the Elders/Ministry and Counsel approve the Resolution, you must then arrange a meeting of the Members according to Faith and Practice. The Members upon recommendation from the Elders/Ministry and Counsel must approve the Resolution to Restate the Articles of Incorporation . After the Members approve the Resolution, you will then be free to submit the final paperwork to the attorney. After the meeting request that the Clerk of the Meeting, the Clerk of the Elders/Ministry and Counsel, and the Recording Clerk do the following:**
- Sign the approved Resolution and enter a minute in the Meetings minute.
- Sign the Restated Articles of Incorporation.
- Sign the Arizona’s Certificate of Disclosure.
**It is a good idea to have two sets of each document signed. One set will be sent to the attorney and you can file a second set for safekeeping. The US Postal system has been known to misplace things.
Phase Four Check List:
- Elders/Ministry and Counsel approve the Resolution Statement to Amend the Articles of Incorporation and approve to call a meeting of the members to seek agreement to approve the Resolution.
- Members approve the Resolution Statement to Amend the Articles of Incorporation.
- A Minute is entered into the corporate Minute Book.
- Clerk of the Meeting, Clerk of Ministry and Counsel, and the Recording Clerk sign the Resolution Minute approving the Amended/Restated Articles of Incorporation.
- Clerk of the Meeting, Clerk of Ministry and Counsel, and the Recording Clerk sign the Amended/Restated Articles of Incorporation.
- Arizona’s Certificate of Disclosure is signed and completed.
PHASE FIVE: SUBMIT
Submit all paperwork listed in the Attorney’s Information Request and Check List. Remember to include the project managers contact information should the need arise for further clarification or details. After the papers are filed and complete, the attorney will return the approved Restated Articles of Incorporation along with a final bill for the cost of publishing the Articles in a public newspaper.
Phase Five Check List:
- Complete the Attorney’s check list
- Mail all original documents to the attorney’s office. We suggest using USPS Priority Mail with tracking numbers to trace the document in case it gets lost.
- Notify the attorney’s office that the documents are coming.
- Praise the Lord, the hard work is over!
PHASE SIX: FILE
File all original legal documents in a fire proof location and distribute copies of the approved Restated Articles of Incorporation to the current Elders / Ministry and Counsel.
Phase Six Check List:
- Submit the attorney’s invoice for the cost of publication.
- Celebrate that the process is over! Thank you for your hard work!
AZ Resolution for Amended Articles (PDF)
For PDF files: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. If you do not have Acrobat, you may download it FREE here.
Helpful Resources Links for Arizona